What is ISEF?
An international science engineering fair for student finalists from all over the world. CASEF has expanded its counties so that every student in Pa has an opportunity to be part of the International Fair. See map of participating counties for CASEF: County map
KEY ISEF GUIDELINES
- Please review this information carefully. A copy of the 2018 ISEF rules and guidelines manual can be found at ISEF
- ALL studies involving the use of microorganisms (including bacteria, viruses, viroids, prions, rickettsia, fungi, and parasites), recombinant DNA (rDNA) technologies or human or animal fresh tissues, blood, or body fluids require pre-approval by the SRC.
- ALL studies in the areas of research listed above are prohibited in a home environment.
- A risk assessment is required for all projects in these research areas.
- Research projects in the areas of research listed above are now classified into biosafety levels that require appropriate biosafety containment. Essentially, biosafety level 1 research may be conducted in a high school with a trained designated supervisor.
- Projects involving unknown microorganism (i.e. those collected from the environment) have additional rules and restrictions.
- Some tissues do not need to be treated as potentially hazardous biological agents (i.e. plant tissue, established cell lines, hair, etc.). Refer to the additional rules for projects involving tissues including blood and blood products.